Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Prostitution

I am probably one of the few women that considers herself somewhat of a feminist (in some ways) but that also has a contradictory viewpoint on the subject of prostitution.  The hubby and I were discussing whether prostitution should be legal or not and it got me to thinking…why ISN’T it already legal?

I believe that every woman on earth, including myself, already has a price that she is willing to trade sex for…for some it’s a Big Mac and a movie, for others that consider themselves more virtuous it is a set of rings and an “I do,” and for even others it is a set fee paid in cash. What difference does it really make the payment that each receives? No difference if you ask me…each woman has chosen her price and is willing to trade sex for that particular payment. How is one really any different from the other?

The way that the law treats things, I can have an abortion but I can’t accept payment for my sexual services…in other words, I own my uterus but not my vagina. Apparently my uterus is mine to do with as I please but my vagina is state regulated…what kind of sense does that make? None whatsoever!!!

He & I agree on this opinion, prostitution should be legalized. If we remove the stigma associated with prostitution and give these women safe places to work, there would be no need for pimps, violence, and all of the other ills that go along with the current lives of sex workers. So many of these women resort to drugs in order to look themselves in the mirror each day because of the way society makes them feel…others do drugs because that is how their pimps control them. With legalization of prostitution, both of these reasons for drug use would be removed. These women could hold their heads high, their customers could come to reputable places to do business.

It’s all a matter of common sense, something that is sorely lacking in our government and our society as a whole these days.

What do you think?

Until next time,
Him & Her

No comments:

Post a Comment

We accept all comments, even anonymous ones. Just leave your thoughts, good or bad, everyone's views are respected. We only ask for respect for ours, too. Thanks!